• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful cancellation of my car insurance policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

war

what is the name of your state? I am from jamaica. i insured with an insurer through a broker. i paid my premiums upfront for the entire year. the insurance company has contacted me and my credit union saying that they have cancelled my policy fro non-payment of premiums. what legal recourse do i have? they have acknowledge their error but all this time i was driving around not knowing that my policy was cancelled.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

war said:
what is the name of your state? I am from jamaica. i insured with an insurer through a broker. i paid my premiums upfront for the entire year. the insurance company has contacted me and my credit union saying that they have cancelled my policy fro non-payment of premiums. what legal recourse do i have? they have acknowledge their error but all this time i was driving around not knowing that my policy was cancelled.

My response:

Since when did Jamaica become part of the United States, man?

IAAL

B

BennyDi

war said:
If your insurance company has acknowledged their error your policy should have been reinstated without a lapse, which means you were covered if something had happened. You say they contacted YOU and your credit union regarding the cancellation, so how can you say "all this time I was driving around not knowing that my policy was cancelled?" And, I'm sure your credit union notified you so that you might have obtained coverage elsewhere. What legal recourse do you want to take? Try doing a search on the web for case law such as.....I didn't read my cancellation notice that I received in the mail....or....legally I had coverage but my insurance company made a mistake so now I want to sue the pants off of them.....and see what you can come up with. If you sue them you have to prove damages. What are your damages?

May I add that frivolous lawsuits are those which cause your premiums, and the premiums of everyone else, to keep increasing and increasing and increasing and in............. well, you get the picture.

JETX

Benny, did you read the POST???
What experience or knowledge do you have of what the insurance 'rules' may be in JAMAICA???
If none (as I suspect), why did you post when it was CLEAR that this post was beyond the scope of this forum???

B

BennyDi

JETX said:
Benny, did you read the POST???
What experience or knowledge do you have of what the insurance 'rules' may be in JAMAICA???
If none (as I suspect), why did you post when it was CLEAR that this post was beyond the scope of this forum???
JETX, you are quite right. I don't know the insurance laws (rules) in Jamaica. But, my response to the poster still stands as there was nothing in the response that had to do with law (rules). Any reputable company (and I stress reputable), who cancels a policy in error on THEIR part, would reinstate the policy without a lapse. I can't imagine an insurance company cancelling a policy in error, admitting their error, and then saying, "We made a mistake and cancelled your policy, but you're s**t out of luck and we're going to keep the years worth of premium you paid in advance." And the rest of my response, which deals with reading ones mail, has nothing to do with law (rules), but does have something to do with common sense. I posted my response because, hopefully, common sense is not beyond the scope of this forum, although I'm really beginning to wonder about that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">