• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1stson

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? minnesota. My mother died in a 1 car rollover accident. the driver died a few days later. both had b.o.c. levels of .08 when checked. we hired an attorney at a % of settlement. we asked for $130,000 in damages from the ins. company. the drivers liability limit $100,000 and my mothers $30,000. after negotiating for a couple months i thought a settlement of $105,000 was fair, his limit + $5,000 underinsured. they both had the same ins. company. now my sister feels the attorney we have is out to make a quick buck and is not representing us fairly. she thinks the insurance company has to pay us the full liability limits on both policys $100,000 +$30,000 buy some law, and then we ask for more as a wrongful death claim. she feels that the settlement the attorney myself and the insurance company agreed upon has nothing to do with wrongfull death. is she right? have i screwed this up?

lwpat

It appears that your sister is the greedy one, not the attorney. Are you the executor of your mother's estate? If so I would proceed with the settlement unless the driver had a sizeable estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">