• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Parking Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?California

I live in an unincorporated area of LA County, 2 houses south of the Pasadena city limits. Pasadena has a "no parking 2am - 6am" rule, and the Police gave me a ticket for parking overnight. Although I clearly parked outside the city's jurisdiction on all maps, they are forcing me to come in for a hearing. Can I sue the city for lost wages, and time spent on this case? I have made every effort to provide them with the information they need to dismiss the citation, but they have ignored it. Can the police give frivoulous citations in the hopes that they won't be contested? What can one do?


Senior Member
Go to the city planners office and ask for a copy of the street where you were parked. Show on the map where you were parked and that it was outside the city limits. You MIGHT be mistaken, though.

But, even if you are right, I doubt you can sue them. You can try, but since it would be a small claims action, you woul dhave to take more time off work. An attorney might be willing to take it if this was a case of knowing and malicious action on the part of the parking authorities ... but I doubt it.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential