• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mugensi93

Bellevue WA.
I was recently let go from work. ive work for them for 6+ months and have never been written up or reprimanded. however they called me in on my day off with an unsigned termination letter. saying i was breaking rules. however i just received the company rules a week ago. In the letter it stated that i have to be out of my apartment in 3days.
Is there a law to help prevent me from being homeless and jobless?

justalayman

do you have any sort of contract? If not, no, Washington is an employment at will state. The employer or employee can terminate the employment any time they desire for any or no reason as long as it is not illegally discriminatory.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing you have posted suggested that your termination was wrongful (illegal).

Were your living quarters supplied by your employer?

Betty

You can apply for unemployment ins. The state will decide if you qualify for benefits or not.

Based on what you posted, this was not a wrongful/illegal termination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will

http://employeeissues.com/wrongful_termination.htm

Good luck.

P.S. As cbg asked, was your apartment supplied by your employer?

swalsh411

Assuming the apartment is company provided housing, wouldn't the employer have to follow the rules for eviction?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Which is why I'm asking. But that would still not affect the legality of the termination itself.

Stephen1

I haven't identified what requirements apply to your having to vacate your apt. But I did find that the "Residential landlord-tenant act" does NOT apply.
"RCW 59.18.040
Living arrangements exempted from chapter.
The following living arrangements are not intended to be governed by the provisions of this chapter, unless established primarily to avoid its application, in which event the provisions of this chapter shall control: ...

"(8) Occupancy by an employee of a landlord whose right to occupy is conditioned upon employment in or about the premises."

So the usual and normal protections & rules we know about do not apply to your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">