• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully accused of discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

granakos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I am in Florida.
The other day at work, I received a call from my boss asking if I had any problems. I replied that if I had a problem, I would tell her. Then the next day, a woman from human resources asked to speak with me. I came to find out that a very offensive note was left on the refrigerator about Jewish people. I still don't know what exactly the note said. But, the woman from HR told me that it had to have been one of six people, and I was one of them. And they pulled some paperwork of mine and said my handwriting matched the handwriting on the note. I told her I did not write it and I would gladly take a lie detector test. She said that the investigations department would be contacting me. So, they are basically saying I did it. What is the next step to take? I feel like management is trying to frame me so they can get rid of me, due to a recent conflict I had with my boss. I really am innocent. Should I get an attorney before they fire me.

Thank you for your help,
Adam

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The next step is to cooperate fully in the investigation. They are not saying you did it; they are investigating to see if you did. Going in with guns blazing and lawyers is going to make you look guilty (the gentleman doth protest too much). Cooperating and doing your best to see that the truth comes out is going to serve you much better.

It's just as possible that the investigation will clear you as that you'll end up being fired. After all, they're investigating five other people as well. But if you are fired, it will fall under the category of unfair but not illegal. They are allowed to terminate an employee who is suspected of misconduct, even if the employer is mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">