• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongfully charged with crime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



A St. Charles county judge issued a warrant for my arrest for receiving stolen property over $150 based on: One man's written statement saying I sold him the property.( this was also the man caught with the stolen property) He had no other witness to back his story.

A Lt. BD North of the St. Peters police department made a notarized statement which listed supporting "facts" such as Defendant sold stolen tires to a witness with no explanation concerning his possession of stolen wheels.

I hired a lawyer and on the day of the prelim. hearing the state filed a memo of nolle prosque and said they would not re-file.

So my question is do I have a legitiment lawsuit against any of these people to recover compensation for legal fees, missed work etc..

Thank you

[Edited by johnm1179 on 05-07-2001 at 05:38 PM]



This is a copy of my own post to another member seeking advice for reparations against the state.

I recently have gone through a similar display of state incompetency. I was arrested last week on a warrant issued for a noise violation in 1999 that was paid 2 days afterward but never properly filed. I have access to advice from many lawyers as a law student and wondered just the same thing. Unfortunately, incompetancy precludes the court system itself and the only "damages" you might be awarded would be that of a simple apology.

The only cases usually awarded reparations are those in which significant 4th Ammendment rights have been violated.

non omnia possumus omnes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential