• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

X-friend from out of state owes me money.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cpruter

What is the name of your state? California.

I loaned what was thought to be a friend from Nevada $400 dollars about a month ago. This person said they would pay me back at the end of June but it is not looking good.

I have emails from them stating they would pay me back and the withdrawl information from my acct. to theirs.

If I go to small claims court in my town will they have to come here from their state to the hearing or case?

What can be done to get the money back?

Any information provided will be appreciated.

Thank you for you time.

Chris.

JETX

cpruter said:
If I go to small claims court in my town will they have to come here from their state to the hearing or case?
Nope. They can simply file a 'Request for Dismissal for Lack of Jurisdiction'. If you are not able to prove that your court has jurisdiction, the court could dismiss your case.

Also, even if you were to proceed and get a default judgment against your 'ex friend', unless he has non-exempt property in California, you would have to domesticate your judgment into Nevada.

What can be done to get the money back?
Option 1: Go beat the crap out of him and demand your money.
Option 2: File a lawsuit against him in HIS home county/state.

cpruter

Can I put a lein against X-friends home?

If I file a lawsuit in their county/state, will I have to show up to their county/state court?

Any other ideas of how to get money back?

Thanks for your help.

Chris.

JETX

cpruter said:
If I file a lawsuit in their county/state, will I have to show up to their county/state court?
Few (very few) courts will allow you to present your case by phone. Call the court and ask them.

Yes. However, Uncle Vito costs more than the $400 involved in this case.

Happy Trails

cpruter said:
Yes, you would have to show up for the court date. No one else is going to present your case for you?

cpruter said:

Thanks for your help.

Chris.
I liked JETX's option #1 answer.

Seriously, if he isn't paying you, your only option is to sue him for it. Then if you win a judgement, then you could pursue the legal ways of trying to collect it.

Or Option 3: Try to work out a payment plan that is reasonable for the both of you.

Last edited:

cpruter

Thanks.... for your responses.

I may have to use some of my cardio kick boxing to resolve this one. J/K

Thanks again.

Chris.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">