• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Yes or No to easement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shmeed48

What is the name of your state? WI

I was contacted by my neighbor about an easement he would like for an underground high voltage line from my transformer to his property. This line would go under my driveway and across my lawn. I'm not overly opposed to it, but I am concerned about lose of future use of that area of my property and possible lose in value of my property because of this. I'm new to this and I'm not sure if I should ask to be paid for this or how to handle it. Would he gain any rights to the affected area or would the power company be responsible for it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

seniorjudge

Q: Would he gain any rights to the affected area or would the power company be responsible for it?

A: It sounds like the utility company would be the one who had all the interest. BUT ask for a copy of the easement and take it to a lawyer BEFORE you sign it.

I wouldn't want a transmission line under my driveway; but your thoughts may be different.

Know what you are signing because once you sign it, it will be there forever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">