• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Yes, racism is alive and well in 2009

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
There is still a segment of society that believes all is fine and well with race relations in 2009. We're all one and kumbaya and crap, which is just that... crap. Guess someone didn't tell the people in the "City of Brotherly Love." :rolleyes:

For all you newbie posters... it's situations like these that we get mad at you when you take the frivolous issues and want to make them big race issues, because believe it or not RACISM IS ALIVE AND WELL, so stop watering your "they didn't sell me that pair of socks because I'm black or brown" and know that below... is a REAL LIVE version of what's REALLY going on in this world.

Pool Boots Kids Who Might "Change the Complexion"Campers sent packing after first visit to swim club
By KAREN ARAIZA

Updated 11:22 PM EDT, Wed, Jul 8, 2009

NBC Philadelphia
Dymire Baylor says he overheard a woman ask, "What are all these black kids doing?" when he and his friends showed up.

More than 60 campers from Northeast Philadelphia were turned away from a private swim club and left to wonder if their race was the reason.

"I heard this lady, she was like, 'Uh, what are all these black kids doing here?' She's like, 'I'm scared they might do something to my child,'" said camper Dymire Baylor.

"When the minority children got in the pool all of the Caucasian children immediately exited the pool," Horace Gibson, parent of a day camp child, wrote in an email. "The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately."

The next day the club told the camp director that the camp's membership was being suspended and their money would be refunded.

"I said, 'The parents don't want the refund. They want a place for their children to swim,'" camp director Aetha Wright said.

Campers remain unsure why they're no longer welcome.

"They just kicked us out. And we were about to go. Had our swim things and everything," said camper Simer Burwell.

The explanation they got was either dishearteningly honest or poorly worded.

"There was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion &hellip and the atmosphere of the club," John Duesler, President of The Valley Swim Club said in a statement.

While the parents await an apology, the camp is scrambling to find a new place for the kids to beat the summer heat.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Campers' "Complexion" No Problem for New PoolSen. Arlen Spector looking into accusations of racism
By VINCE LATTANZIO

NBC Philadelphia
The campers from Creative Steps have cause to celebrate since they will again be able to make a splash.

For kids in the summertime, there's nothing better than jumping full-speed into a pool to cool off. So when 65 kids from a Northeast Philadelphia camp were banned from taking a dip at a private swim club because of fears they would "change the complexion" and "atmosphere" of the club, they couldn't understand why.

Creative Steps Day Camp paid The Valley Swim Club more than $1900 for one day of swimming a week, but after the first day, the money was quickly refunded and the campers were told not to return.

At first there was no explanation, but some of the campers recalled overhearing comments about the color of their skin while at the club.

Then the swim club president John Duesler issued this statement: "There was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion &hellip and the atmosphere of the club."

So the staff at Girard College, a private Philadelphia boarding school for children who live in low-income and single parent homes, stepped in and offered their pool.

"We had to help," said Girard College director of Admissions Tamara Leclair. "Every child deserves an incredible summer camp experience."

The school already serves 500 campers of its own, but felt they could squeeze in 65 more – especially since the pool is vacant on the day the Creative Steps had originally planned to swim at Valley Swim Club.

"I'm so excited," camp director Alethea Wright exclaimed. There are still a few logistical nuisances -- like insurance -- the organizations have to work out, but it seems the campers will not stay dry for long.

And to sweeten the deal, the owners of Gumdrops & Sprinkles treated the kids to a free day of candy and ice cream making.

"The allegations against the swim club as they are reported are extremely disturbing," Specter said in a statement. "I am reaching out to the parties involved to ascertain the facts. Racial discrimination has no place in America today."

mommyof4

Disgusting.:mad:

I mean, really...how hard is it just to see all people as nothing more and nothing less than PEOPLE????

I'm glad that they found a pool that wasn't scared that the 'complexion' would be changed. But it still makes me angry that finding a new pool was even necessary.

The first swim club that denied them access can spin it however they want, but it won't change the reality of why they refused to honor their agreement to let the kids use the pool one day a week.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have nothing to say except I hope that club gets their racist butts kicked five ways to sunday. Hmmm... gotta wonder if they have grand dragons as members.

ETA: The website for the club has been taken down and you only get an error when you try to go to it however I did find this:
Valley Swim Club
22 TOMLINSON RD
HUNTINGDON VALLEY, PA 19006
(215) 947-0700

And yes it is MY OPINION and not a legal finding that they are racists. Poor whiteys have issues dealing with someone different than they are? I hate racists regardless of their color. (And yes there are black racists as well.)

Last edited:

tranquility

Racism is always going to be with us when it is required by law. And, with a nominated Supreme Court justice who seems to believe it should be required by law, I suspect a few more years at least.

But, like others, when it is directed to an identified person or persons, rather than an arbitrary category, it has a greater emotional hurt when we see it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Classifying someone based SOLELY on the color of their skin is wrong. I don't care what color it is, it is racism.
Well truthfully I was speaking based on the fact that the CLUB does not want African americans there because they would change the complexion. Hence I deduced that the club is predominantly caucasion -- especially considering the interviews were dealing with white individuals at the club and hence whitey is a way of saying caucasion. Racist? Ummm.. I didn't see it as such since it was true. Nor was I saying whitey as derogatory. Oh and by the way I am Caucasion.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Classifying someone based SOLELY on the color of their skin is wrong. I don't care what color it is, it is racism.
Dude I am a whitey. And I have no problem with having others change the complexion of anything. But prohibiting the change is the issue. And that is what the club was doing by cancelling the contract due to the change in complexion.

tranquility

I recall a conversation which was repeated in many forms through my marriage. My wife would see something that would annoy her being done by a certain ethnic group and say something like, "Those Mexicans are always doing things like that." in a derrogatory way.

To which I would say, "But, Honey, *you're* a Mexican."

"Yeah, but not like those."

Was she a racist?

ERAUPIKE

Dude I am a whitey. And I have no problem with having others change the complexion of anything. But prohibiting the change is the issue. And that is what the club was doing by cancelling the contract due to the change in complexion.
If this happened at an all black pool to a bunch of white kids would you feel the same way?

The article is full of qualifiers which makes me skeptical as to the accuracy of the report. My home-made propane powered b.s. meter is pegged out on this story.

The article doesn’t mention the children’s behavior.

Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see.

Last edited:

mommyof4

If this happened at an all black pool to a bunch of white kids would you feel the same way?
I won't speak for anyone else, but I most certainly would.

People are people.

I actually had a 'confrontation with a lady who said I didn't like her because she was black. I told her that her race I had nothing to do with it. I didn't like her because she was a B-word. Thus ended any accusations of me being a racist since everyone listening to our conversation agreed 100%. She was rude, obnoxious, overly aggressive and very quick to throw the racist allegation when she was not bowed down to. :D

Same thing as the senator calling MJ a pedophile (which, legally he was NOT) and various people turning around and accusing the senator of being racist. Since when is pedophillia localized to one particular group of people who happen to have the same general amount of melatonin in their genetic make-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">