• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

yet another CA tax property Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

I own a 4 plex in San Jose, ca 70% for me and 30% for my brother. I have been living in it for 7 years one apartment is mine, one is my brothers and two rented, and I am planing to sell it. I have asked two professionals about the income tax I have to pay. one told me that I do not have to pay income taxes since this is our primary resident. and the second told me that I have to pay taxes on 50% only. how is accurate.



Senior Member
You own 70%
Your brother owns 30%

25% is your personal residence.
25% is your brother's personal residence.

50% is therefore subject to capital gains tax as investment property. Of this, 45% is yours, and 5% is your brother's.

So you will owe capital gains tax on 45% of the gain on the rental portion and your brother will owe capital gains tax on 5% of the gain on the rental portion.

So the first one was completely wrong, and the second one was "mostly" correct, excepting a few details.

Do hire a professional to do your tax return once this is completed, it's a bit complex.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential