• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Yet Another Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1Peter169

What is the name of your state? Iowa

If my wife and I have had separate checking accounts for 23 of our 24 year marriage, will the courts rule that they are indeed separate or will they consider them joint marital property? My wife is making a big deal out of purchases I've made in the past year, yet she had also made many withdraws and purchases from HER account.

Bali Hai

1Peter169 said:

If my wife and I have had separate checking accounts for 23 of our 24 year marriage, will the courts rule that they are indeed separate or will they consider them joint marital property?

Joint

My wife is making a big deal out of purchases I've made in the past year,

Make sure you didn't spend any money (that can be traced) on a paramour.

yet she had also made many withdraws and purchases from HER account.
Grow a set and call her on it!

If you see a divorce coming, plan on giving her 1/2 marital assets and working to support her for the rest of your life.

LdiJ

1Peter169 said:

If my wife and I have had separate checking accounts for 23 of our 24 year marriage, will the courts rule that they are indeed separate or will they consider them joint marital property? My wife is making a big deal out of purchases I've made in the past year, yet she had also made many withdraws and purchases from HER account.
A court would generally see them as marital property.

1Peter169

Purchases

MominMass said:
What sort of purchases?

Anything! She placed a restraining order on me so I don't have my posessions. She assumes I've replaced everything. She also knows that I went to Las Vegas for my birthday last year. Same friend paid for it. My best (male) friend lives there and she thought I would enjoy spending the weekend playing golf...which I did. My wife knows how much I had in my account back in October of 2004 and knows I claim a lot less because there is a lot less. If she can spend 65,000 dollars since January of last year, then can't I spend my money too?

(MominMass: would you be willing to allow me to "speak" to you privately? Maybe through the private messages of this forum?)

Last edited:

Bali Hai

1Peter169 said:
Anything! She placed a restraining order on me so I don't have my posessions. She assumes I've replaced everything. She also knows that I went to Las Vegas for my birthday last year. Same friend paid for it. My best (male) friend lives there and she thought I would enjoy spending the weekend playing golf...which I did. My wife knows how much I had in my account back in October of 2004 and knows I claim a lot less because there is a lot less. If she can spend 65,000 dollars since January of last year, then can't I spend my money too?

(MominMass: would you be willing to allow me to "speak" to you privately? Maybe through the private messages of this forum?)
When was the divorce action filed?

Bali Hai

1Peter169 said:
Filed with the court on June 10, 2005. Served to me on July 5th, 2005.
The bank account(s) info. will also freeze on that date. Unless she is trying to prove you wastefully dissipated marital assets prior.

In that case you should get the goods on her too.

I'm assuming you have an attorney and answered the complaint.

Last edited:
M

MominMass

1Peter169 said:

o.k. how does that work?

M

MominMass

1Peter169 said:
Go to your profile and change your email message options so that you can accept and send messages through this site, and also keep them private.
o.k. check your private messages. I think I did it right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">