• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

You guys think I have a malpractice situation here???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ok, about 3 weeks ago I was biking and had a bad wreck up on the trail that broke both bones in my left leg and left a bad wound. I was in the dirt about 30 mins with the open wound. I was taken to the hospital via ambulance and while there was not properly cleaned. The extent of wound care done was to simply pour some hydrogen peroxide over the wound and cover it. About a week later at my Ortho Pre-Op appointment they took off the dressing and immediately admitted me into the hospital for 2 severe infections at the wound site. I was on about 6 days of IV antibiotics before they could do the surgery and in the hospital for 8 days. My wife and I had brought up the fact the wound had not been properly cleaned yet and it wasnt until my second day in the hospital that Infectious Disease came to look at it and thoroughly cleaned it. It postponed my surgery by several days, required 6 weeks of home health and a PICC line to be installed, and has cost me loads of money on downtime while in hospital. Is this an example of malpractice?

quincy

Ok, about 3 weeks ago I was biking and had a bad wreck up on the trail that broke both bones in my left leg and left a bad wound. I was in the dirt about 30 mins with the open wound. I was taken to the hospital via ambulance and while there was not properly cleaned. The extent of wound care done was to simply pour some hydrogen peroxide over the wound and cover it. About a week later at my Ortho Pre-Op appointment they took off the dressing and immediately admitted me into the hospital for 2 severe infections at the wound site. I was on about 6 days of IV antibiotics before they could do the surgery and in the hospital for 8 days. My wife and I had brought up the fact the wound had not been properly cleaned yet and it wasnt until my second day in the hospital that Infectious Disease came to look at it and thoroughly cleaned it. It postponed my surgery by several days, required 6 weeks of home health and a PICC line to be installed, and has cost me loads of money on downtime while in hospital. Is this an example of malpractice?
What is the name of your state?

Were you not told at the hospital to see your personal physician after release from emergency care?

PayrollHRGuy

Wait a minute. How did something require 6 weeks of home health when the accident only happened 3 weeks ago?

None of the times given add up.

jlhubbard, could you please clarify? And provide your state name.

Thanks.
Ok to clalify, the wreck happened 3ish weeks ago, just had surgery on the 5th of this month, was released 2 days after on home health...and here we are, I am still on home health. Oh and in TN

PayrollHRGuy

I understand your concerns. But remember you were in the dirt for 30 minutes with an open wound. Even with proper cleaning, there would be a good chance of an infection.

That said by any measure you are at the beginning of this and there will be plenty of time to explore malpractice.

Ok lets get real specific here, accident happened July 20th, and that was when I was in ER. First saw my Ortho on the 22nd of July with a Pre-op appointment set for the 30th of July. Went in for that appointment and was immediately admitted into the hospital due to the infections that presented themselves. After my leg was unwrapped the obvious red streaks coming from the wound and drainage indicated a bad infection. On August 1st Infectious Disease came to take a look at it and cleaned it for the first time and cultured not one but 2 infections. Had surgery on August 5th, was released from hospital on Aug 7th provided I get a PICC line and 6 additional weeks of IV antibiotics via home health, which I am currently in the middle of. That is about as detailed as I can get with the dates lol. And I am in Tennessee

I understand your concerns. But remember you were in the dirt for 30 minutes with an open wound. Even with proper cleaning, there would be a good chance of an infection.

That said by any measure you are at the beginning of this and there will be plenty of time to explore malpractice.
Oh yeah no doubt, but with them having known it was rather dirty as the rest of me looked all sorts of muddy and banged up I figure a cleaning or debridement would be done but yeah, only poured some peroxide on it and wrapped it up.

PayrollHRGuy

Nobody here is going to know the standard of care that should have been reached. Get better, then talk to a lawyer that specializes in medical malpractice.

quincy

was told to see ortho the following monday which I did
Thank you for the more detailed information. It helps.

From what you've said, the emergency care on the 20th does not appear to be the cause of the infection. You apparently did not have a noticeable infection on the 22nd when you had your appointment with "ortho."

You can have your medical records personally reviewed by a personal injury attorney in your area (initial consultations are generally free) to see if the attorney believes there is a legal action worth pursuing.

quincy

Didn't your Ortho examine the wound? Might be his malpractice if he didn't.
The infection appears to have been noticed on the 30th, after emergency care and after the first ortho appointment. Tracing the infection to doctor care could be difficult.

Didn't your Ortho examine the wound? Might be his malpractice if he didn't.
My wife and I brought the lack of cleaning up to him on our first appointment on the 22nd but he brushed it off as well, until the appointment on the 30th that is when he noticed infection and had me admitted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">