• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Young Adult Power Of Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gomzilla

What is the name of your state? VA

Hi,

My friend who has a daughter that went to college recently recommend for me to get a young adult POA and gave me this link (link removed) which costs $79

The website says it is good for
Health Power of Attorney
Make health care decisions if your child is incapacitated.
Make choices about who provides your child's care.
Avoid court-appointed guardians.
Control end-of-life treatment decisions.
small dollar sign icon inside blue circle
Finance Power of Attorney
Manage bank & investment accounts.
Deal with credit cards & creditors.
Interact with landlords & insurance companies.
Carry out financial tasks for a child who is traveling or deployed.
Manage student loans & financial aid.
small document inside blue circle
HIPAA Release Form
Designed to cover all health care providers
Allow health care providers to share medical information.
Any advice? Seems like a good idea but is there a free version of this?

Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? VA

Hi,

My friend who has a daughter that went to college recently recommend for me to get a young adult POA and gave me this link (deleted) which costs $79

Thanks
Personally, I think that this is an advertisement, but on the off chance that you are for real, I am going to say that I cannot imagine why anyone would need a "young adult POA". I don't know of anyone who ever had one. Yes, many students had a parent on their bank accounts, but since your parent is your next of kin anyway (when you aren't married) I fail to see the need for a POA.

Last edited:

gomzilla

Thanks for the reply. My friend says it is for college-bound students like her daughter. In case she gets into accidents. doctors may not reveal all medical info to parents because they are already adult.

It sounds like this is really not needed. No wonder I did not find a lot when searching online.

Thanks again

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the reply. My friend says it is for college-bound students like her daughter. In case she gets into accidents. doctors may not reveal all medical info to parents because they are already adult.

It sounds like this is really not needed. No wonder I did not find a lot when searching online.

Thanks again
A power of attorney is not the only way to accomplish such a thing. Please have your friend log on to ask her own questions about this matter, as she likely has additional information that you are not privy to.

zddoodah

My friend who has a daughter that went to college recently recommend for me to get a young adult POA
Why? What facts suggest you need a POA? Also, FYI, there is no such thing as a "young adult POA."

Good for what?

Regarding advice, please read the disclaimer and other notices at the bottom of the page and elsewhere at the site.

Again, WHY would you need a POA? Would you be the principal or the agent/attorney-in-fact? If you're the principal, who would be the agent, and if you're the agent, who would be the principal? While I'm sure there are tons of free POA forms online, if you're giving authority to someone else to deal with third persons on your behalf or if you're accepting such authority (which will create fiduciary duties), do you really want to cheap out on this?

In case she gets into accidents. doctors may not reveal all medical info to parents because they are already adult.
HIPAA would prevent such disclosure UNLESS the adult child consents (which does not require a POA).

t sounds like this is really not needed.
Whether it's "needed" or not depends on the relevant facts (none of which you've provided) and will have some measure of subjectivity.

quincy

gomzilla, commercial links are not permitted on this forum so your post was reported for moderator review.

There are medical “emergency release” forms that can be signed by parents to allow for someone else to seek medical care for their children in their stead. Schools use these forms (often required for field trips), and parents can also use them for babysitters or for when their children travel or vacation anywhere without them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">