• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Your state; Can LL require tenats to do all repairs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LindaP777

What is the name of your state? OHIO
After speaking with an investor in another state (he specializes in distressed properties), he was saying he requires all his tenants to be responsible for all the repairs on the the house they are renting. I was curious as to how many states where this would be legal. (And even if it was legal, would you want the tenant doing the fix ups? Would it be done right???)

In Ohio, (A) A landlord who is a party to a rental agreement shall do all of the following:

(1) Comply with the requirements of all applicable building, housing, health, and safety codes that materially affect health and safety;

(2) Make all repairs and do whatever is reasonably necessary to put and keep the premises in a fit and habitable condition;

(3) Keep all common areas of the premises in a safe and sanitary condition;

(4) Maintain in good and safe working order and condition all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, and air conditioning fixtures and appliances, and elevators, supplied or required to be supplied by him;

Landlords, chime in for me, if you know if it is legal in your state to require tenants to be responsible for all the repairs on the the house they are renting. Just curious.

Last edited:

nextwife

It's an idiotic way to handle it. The properties will ultimately end up with fines and problems from having half-***** repairs done with the permits being pulled. Or extreme damage from waiting too long. And a mish-mashed mess of whatever is cheapest.

I know of a foreclosed house that had to be razed because so much non-permit work was done that the local building inspector proclaimed they "couldn't know what was behind the walls".

If someone doesn't want to be bothered with property repairs, they have no business owning property.

FarmerJ

In my state LLs are responsible for keeping all mechanical and structural components in good working order with one thing Ive seen as a acception rental units with a septic tank can require the tenant to pay for a honeysucker to come out and do scheduled pumping. Other wise for sure in MPLS it doesnt matter if its tenant created damage or not they will order you to make repairs and your only option is to go after the tenant in court if the tenant refuses to pay for tenant created damage. I have yet to experiance housing court in the rural counties near me so I cannot say how they deal with things that are not addressed by state law. I know even simple stuff like a clogged drain that is tenant fault or fem hygene products that are flushed and create a clog ultimately the LL is still the first party held responsible to get it working again.

ecmst12

It's probably legal here but no way would I sign an agreement like that. One of my past leases said tenants will be responsible for all repairs under $100 which was fine with me, but beyond that, the MAIN advantage of renting (for me) is that I don't have to be responsible for repairs due to normal wear and tear!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">