• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

YouTube Defamation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

switch-krik

Someone I know has a child, now in their 30's, who has married someone who has a YouTube Channel. This child's spouse is posting videos slandering the child's family, but without mentioning names, but saying "the sister," "sister's husband", and the child's "Mother". They are claiming these videos are a "reality" video, even though what they are saying is not true. Can they be held liable for this as the statement they make are not true and can be proven not true with witness'? There is much more to this story, but I'm just trying to discover if these videos can legally be taken down as it's tearing the Mother apart. I am keeping this vague as the 'child's' spouse tracks everything. Thanks in advance for the help!

quincy

Someone I know has a child, now in their 30's, who has married someone who has a YouTube Channel. This child's spouse is posting videos slandering the child's family, but without mentioning names, but saying "the sister," "sister's husband", and the child's "Mother". They are claiming these videos are a "reality" video, even though what they are saying is not true. Can they be held liable for this as the statement they make are not true and can be proven not true with witness'? There is much more to this story, but I'm just trying to discover if these videos can legally be taken down as it's tearing the Mother apart. I am keeping this vague as the 'child's' spouse tracks everything. Thanks in advance for the help!
What is the name of your state?

If a person is identified by name or identifiable by content, and what is communicated is false and harms a person's reputation, a defamation lawsuit can result.

If the content is objectionable, YouTube can be contacted. Removal of material might, however, require a court order - and a court order might require the filing of a lawsuit.

Here is a link to YouTube and reporting defamatory content: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6154230?hl=en

Last edited:

switch-krik

The parent lives in Arizona. The slander comes with the child's spouse saying that the child's mother did 'this', which is not true. They have never named the parent by name, but anyone who watches that YouTube channel could easily find out who the child's mother is with a bit of online research. The same has been said about the "child's" sister and her family.

quincy

The parent lives in Arizona. The slander comes with the child's spouse saying that the child's mother did 'this', which is not true. They have never named the parent by name, but anyone who watches that YouTube channel could easily find out who the child's mother is with a bit of online research. The same has been said about the "child's" sister and her family.
The mother (and/or sister and family) can file a complaint with YouTube and see where it goes.

If there has been no demonstrable injury to reputations, however, a defamation lawsuit would be hard to support (depending on what exactly "this" is).

Thank you for providing the state name.

Good luck

LdiJ

Is there a family member who is not estranged from the "child" who could reach out to him about how inappropriate his/her spouse's actions are?

quincy

It appears the child and her spouse are complicit (".. they are claiming these videos are 'reality' video ...").

Although it is always best to try to negotiate person-to-person, it does not sound as if that is a solution here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">