• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

zoning and site plans

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tnlena

problem with zoning officer

What is the name of your state?New Jersey
I bought a mixed use property and am planning to use commercial space as day care center. The zoning officer has finally granted me a zoning permit ,with the help of an attorney, but she put a condition that I cannot use the "play area" until I have board approval. I have told her that I do not plan to change the area except to put those small plastic play houses and allow the children to play wth a small sandbox and water table but she insisted I get site plan approval for that. It seems silly! The previous use was a ice cream shop which had children in that same space only difference is they had 4 picnic tables in place. It is a fenced in space.The use is permitted in the zone.

My question is: Is there a requirement based in law that I have to have site plan approval for that type of change?

Thanks

Last edited:

HomeGuru

tnlena said:
What is the name of your state?New Jersey
I bought a mixed use property and am planning to use commercial space as day care center. The zoning officer has finally granted me a zoning permit ,with the help of an attorney, but she put a condition that I cannot use the "play area" until I have board approval. I have told her that I do not plan to change the area except to put those small plastic play houses and allow the children to play wth a small sandbox and water table but she insisted I get site plan approval for that. It seems silly! The previous use was a ice cream shop which had children in that same space only difference is they had 4 picnic tables in place. It is a fenced in space.The use is permitted in the zone.

My question is: Is there a requirement based in law that I have to have site plan approval for that type of change?

Thanks
**A: ask her for it in writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">