• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Zoning matter Re: Dead End road

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

badroad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York (Westchester County)

Please excuse my ignorance if the title is incorrect as I'm baffled as to what department covers such a matter...

I live on a dead end road amongst 6 other homes. The entrance of our road is clearly marked as a dead end, and has for the 10 years that I have lived here. The "dead end" has slowly transformed into a pass through for our busy neighborhood.

There is a large store on the other end of the "dead end" as well as a rear entrance to a local elementary school. We were told by the town traffic committee that jeeps and trucks drove up and down the hill over the years and ultimately they just decided to pave it. Now our "dead end" gets more traffic than any other road in our small commnunity!

I asked the committee for records that show that this road went through proper zoning and building ordinances, and that it was "legally" now a pass through road. They stated it never went through such a process, therefore no records.

Can a township in NY just out of the blue turn a dead end road into a through road without some code enforcement or notification to the citizens of the road?

I have no idea how to proceed with this matter, who to speak with regarding the legality or whether or not there is anything we can do. Not only do we receive a TON of unwanted traffic cutting through, but the hill that has turned into the passthrough is tiny and creates a dangerous situation for the children walking home from the local school.

Any feedback, advice or direction would be HIGHLY appreciated.

-Concerned Parent & Homeowner :)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

With a bunch of money and a good lawyer, you may be able to temporarily stop the through traffic. But, if it really is as used as you say, it will be an ultimately losing battle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">