+ Reply to Thread

Question Contract Voted down

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

We've been in contract negotiations going on two years. Recently our contract was voted down for the second time Authorizing a strike. One of the stewards didn't agree with that so she decided to draft a petition and it explains I no longer want to go on strike and I would like to be on the same contract as the Bus drivers. We have two contracts one (Bus drivers) second( Sales and customer service.) I've spoke to the Unions business agent and seem to not want to move on it. Is there some sort of National Labor law that prohibits this since we already voted no ?

Are you asking if there is some law that limits the free speech rights of one of the stewards?

Quote Originally Posted by 781Steward View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

We've been in contract negotiations going on two years. Recently our contract was voted down for the second time Authorizing a strike. One of the stewards didn't agree with that so she decided to draft a petition and it explains I no longer want to go on strike and I would like to be on the same contract as the Bus drivers. We have two contracts one (Bus drivers) second( Sales and customer service.) I've spoke to the Unions business agent and seem to not want to move on it. Is there some sort of National Labor law that prohibits this since we already voted no ?
    Which contract an employee works under is determined by contract. One does not get to pick and choose which contract they will work under.

As to whether a union member wishes to go on strike is a personal decision, whether the union members in whole will go on strike is determine by the body of the union (when taking a strike vote at some point) and when to actually engage in a strike which is decided by the union leadership. If a strike vote passed by a majority of the workers and the union leadership calls for a strike, there is officially a union strike. A single member does not have the authority to determine whether there is a strike or not.

Of course that person can cross the picket lines and work. the results of such actions vary.

+ Reply to Thread