• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to join

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rkbaker37

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My wife has worked at the same company for 6 years as an office supervisor and is considered management so she is not in the union. She supervises 5 people who are union members. Now the company wants to "restructure" and is changing her job title to Team Lead and now she has no supervisory duties. She is being told she has to join the union and has zero seniority. After 6 years of supervising, she has lower seniority than the people she supervised. My question is: can the company force someone to join the union even after they have been employed in a non-union position?

PayrollHRGuy

Currently Ohio is not a "Right-To-Work" state. So yes she can be forced to join the union.

The Union contract is what defines seniority.

I say currently because in February of this year a bill was introduced to make Ohio a R-T-W state. I have no idea how the bill has progressed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">