• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting out of union( federal aka postal )

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Membernomore55

For numerous reasons which would take a long time to explain , I am trying to get out on my mail handlers union....they have a 20/10 rule meaning you cannot get out until your anniversary date..i have been told by a labor board lawyer that the 20/10 rule is illegal only to have her backpedal and say she thinks its ok.... i was recently given a supreme court ruling saying it was illegal for a union to not let you get out at any time...Abood vs. Detroit board of education 1977...though the first paragraph says a union cant blah blah blah ... it continues and reading it makes you wonder if yes they can ...its all very confusing and im just looking to see if anyone has ANY idea if i can get out...ive been denied once and now have to wait a year unless somebody knows a definite way around this "hostage situation"....tnx btw im in massachusetts

NIV

Come around here next year and you might find federal "right to work" legislation that might solve your problem.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/785

Federal laws that currently affect USPS are listed at:
https://about.usps.com/manuals/spp/html/spp7_035.htm

I believe the case you cited held that a person who get benefits from a union (like collective bargaining) may have to pay for those benefits even though they are not a member of that union. Last year's (2016) case Friedrichs v. California Teachers Association had to do with a first amendment issue where the union chooses to "speak" for members and non-members alike. With the 8 member court, it was not taken up.

FlyingRon

The right to work statutes aren't really going to affect him. The USPS is not a closed shop. He wasn't required to join the union. Nor is it an agency shop where he ends up having to pay dues even if he's not a member of the union. This is a case of a voluntary enrollment. The question is whether, once he has joined, whether he can resign before the year is up.

Abood addresses the agency shop in the public sector (teachers). In addition to it not seeming to apply here. It was pretty roundly decided that the involuntary payment of the union dues was not unconstitutional, nor inconsistent with the enacted laws.

I suspect he's going to have to wait until 20 days before his anniversary date as the law provides.

Membernomore55

thanks anyway

really just trying to find ANY loophole that will piss off my union and allow me to get out...i am aware of ever
ything u all said , was just looking for some "Aha Really?!" moment to, like i said, shove up my unions ---.... Kind of like saying a wife being beaten by her husband has to wait til their anniversary to get out of the marriage.... oh well til then ill keep filing my own step 1's to piss off our local prez...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">