• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grievance against former non-union person?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tjmike

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I worked as an independant contractor for a company with mostly union employees. Management was non-union, and I was considered Management. Working with the union became difficult, so I terminated the contract. My supervisor understood and agreed to my reasons for quitting. About 3 weeks after I left, the union filed a grievance against me on several issue, with no evidence. I'm only hearing about the grievance from other employees that work there. The union is making accusations, and performing thier own investigation, and I have had no opportunity to defend myself. They are bringing false information to my former supervisors, and asking that I never be employed again as a remedy.

How can they file a grievance against someone that was never an employee, and doesn't work there any more?

What happened to my right to due process?

How can they take away my right to work for a large company, ever again, without me ever being able to even see the evidence they have or defend myself?

Thanks all.

racer72

How can they file a grievance against someone that was never an employee, and doesn't work there any more?
That would be up to the wording in the union contract. If you had any contact with union employees during your time working at the company, the union likely can file a grevience against you.

What happened to my right to due process?
Due process applies to courts of law, you are not being judged in a court. Your rights, if you have any, are specified by company policy and the union contract.

How can they take away my right to work for a large company, ever again, without me ever being able to even see the evidence they have or defend myself?
Michigan is a right to work state, an employer can refuse employment for just about any reason except for those protected by the ADA.

tjmike

Right to work?

I didn't think Michigan was a "right to work state", but doesn't that just apply to if a person wants to join a union or not?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">