• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hours cut then suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tombernh

Haysville,Kansas. Two weeks ago my manager had sent a text and implied that she wanted me to work off the clock. I refused and she cut my hours from 40 a week down to 15 a week. I had called into work yesterday because I had injured myself and would not be able to do the job that was expected of me that day. I received a call from my general manager the following day explaining that I will have a demotion of almost 2 dollars an hour I am suspended for a week and losing my assistant manager position for calling in. I do not think everything she is doing is 100% legal and needing advise on where to go from here.

Chyvan

cut my hours from 40 a week down to 15 a week.
Assuming this is going to be the norm, and with the pay cut, you're probably eligible for partial UI especially for the week you are suspended. Go apply.

I received a call from my general manager the following day explaining that I will have a demotion of almost 2 dollars an hour I am suspended for a week and losing my assistant manager position for calling in.
If you have faith in your union and want to take your chances, you can keep working.

If you have your doubts, and just want out, and are OK with the UI, then you can just refuse to go back. In essence, you've been fired from the job that you had, and the demotion is unlikely to be suitable. If you work the demotion, it will be treated as acceptance, and you won't be able to change your mind later if you are unhappy with the demotion, and the union doesn't help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">