• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Union issue California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bozzie

I am a member of a union (for this email i will call it union 321) that has rules about certain things regarding job activities that fall within my union job description.
Recently i was seen at a place of biz that might put what i was doing into question as to did it fall within my job description and jurisdiction.
While i was at this place of business a union member from a another (union 75) saw me then emailed the head of union 75. Union 75 is in a way connected to my union ( i hirer members of union 75 to work on my crew basically) The head from that union 75 emailed other members from 75 some i know others i don't know to find out what i was doing in that place of business ( i wasn't violating any union rules BTW) the email heading was my name and placed me at this business at a certain time with the question did anyone know what i was working on and why was i there, I feel like I'm being singled out by the head of union 75 this feels like I'm being blacklisted and harassed . This is evidently a organized group of union 75 members who are not officially recognized or sanctioned by the union 75 or it members and seem to be being used to report to violations to the union 75 head on the sly. This would be the group i've been targeted by... not my union 321.

Am i wrong to feel like there may be a violation here? I have a copy of the email with the date, the union 75 heads signature with the union 75 seal at the bottom as proof, someone within the union 75 group I'm very friendly with forwarded me the email and mentioned it wasn't the first email sent out about me by union 75 but i don't have proof of that.
Should i look for representation?
I know this is a little confusing but i'm worried about my reputation.

Thank you if anyone can help me out.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There's no way we can guess...speak with your own union rep, or an employment law attorney.

justalayman

Yes you are wrong here. It is the unions obligation to investigate posssible rule infractions. All I see is somebody saw you in a situation that could have been a rules violation. The union of concern investigated the matter and apparently so no grievable concern. Apparently no violation was found and the matter was dropped.

Bozzie

I'd think being singled out and and basically targeted by another union is a violation on their part towards me..
Its basically blacklisting IMO

Thanks anyway

Zigner

I'd think being singled out and and basically targeted by another union is a violation on their part towards me..

Thanks anyway
What obligation (duty) does another union have to you?

justalayman

Thanks anyway
Nope, it's not. They were simply ensuring their work territory (per the NLRA) was not being infringed upon. A diligent labor union should be doing exactly what you described. You weren't singled out because you were you. It's because where and what you might have been doing.

justalayman

What obligation (duty) does another union have to you?
If the unions involved are the same union but different locals, it is the duty of any local to protect their local area (as described in their charter from their international union office). If a tradesman from the same union (let's say operators union as an example) all work performed by union operators in their local must be with the knowledge and permission of the local local.

If they are different unions (let's use carpenters and sheet metal workers unions), the NLRA does not allow cross
Trade work. The carpenter is not allowed to do sheet metal work and the sheet metal worker is not allowed to do carpentry. If there is cross trade work, the aggrieved trade can "file charges" with the NLRB seeking the NLRB review the grievance and make determination. The unions are bound to abide by the ruling.

Zigner

If the unions involved are the same union but different locals, it is the duty of any local to protect their local area (as described in their charter from their international union office). If a tradesman from the same union (let's say operators union as an example) all work performed by union operators in their local must be with the knowledge and permission of the local local.

If they are different unions (let's use carpenters and sheet metal workers unions), the NLRA does not allow cross
Trade work. The carpenter is not allowed to do sheet metal work and the sheet metal worker is not allowed to do carpentry. If there is cross trade work, the aggrieved trade can "file charges" with the NLRB seeking the NLRB review the grievance and make determination. The unions are bound to abide by the ruling.
Fair enough - looking back, I don't think my question was garmane to the topic

The OP thinks it's not fair that the (a) local is questioning his working at a certain place, so he somehow thinks he's being blacklisted. I don't see that the OP has any recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">