• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Union and mandatory training

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JaneDoe29

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have a few questions regarding a union my husband works for.
He is in a local labor union for glaziers, drywallers, and painters. He is currently an apprentice for this union. Every 3 months he is sent to a MANDATORY job training, and they do not pay him for this week they make him take from work. They told him that he must go through unemployment.

He completed his second training, and should have been paid through UI for this one (the first was considered a waiting week). He filled out the claim form and attached his letter of completion and sent it in to EDD. Edd denied his claim, saying he made too much the second week after the training. ALL of the other apprentices get paid though EDD for this mandatory training, and a lot of them make more than he does. How can he be denied for being forced to go to training with no pay? The union says they won't help him figure it out, that they have no control over EDD, but they are the ones that are making the training mandatory. All they say is "That's why we give you the letter" but EDD still denied it with the letter. He loses out 40 hours of pay, and we need this to put food on the table!

This union also does not have sick days. I thought CA law says it should be at least 3 days? (totally unrelated but was curious.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">