• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Union steward

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

javarius

Wanting to know is it right that a union steward works for the company by reporting people and writing employees names down if let's just say either we were at the next machine talking to a co worker or maybe we did something that she didn't like she has this paper that she writes everything on telling on certain employees (the ones she doesn't like) so I decided to watch the employees that she didn't watch and what do you know they broke more rules than the ones she do watch!! So now I'm at the point where this has got to stop I pay my money but not for them to go and try to get me fired she's in the front office every morning with a report even all throughout the day I mean it's fine if she wants to work for the employer and report whatever she sees but I don't think I want her to represent me when it comes time for me to have to go in the office and she's the one who put me there not to mention she represents the whole plant but only has her picks and chooses who she watches and who she tells on that's not what I pay union dues for in that case what do we need a union for because more than likely I will have to go in and defend myself from her any help I would really appreciate it

justalayman

Depending on the union and contract this may be an appointed or elected position so, which is it in your case?

I do agree it is improper for a steward to be the company tattle tale, especially since the are legally obligated to represent your rights should the company seek to discipline or terminate you. I would speak to a higher official in the union. Even if this is an elected position the union superiors should have a chat with the steward.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">