• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander-Libel? I need some advice, BAD! Any advice will be helpful!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ladidust23

What is the name of your state? Missouri. We sold and older lawn mower to an old lady (which she bought for her daughters house) in July of this year. My fiance told her that it is sold as-is. About 3 days after we sold it the lady called and said that belt came off the mower. Since it had only been 3 days, my fiance went up and fixed it free. Then about 3 days ago the womans daughter calls us and tells us that the mower does not work and that we needed to come up to their house and fix it free. We told her that we shouldnt have to since it was bought over 2 months ago and sold as-is. So then she demanded her money back. We said no. Well, she lives right down the road from us outside of town, and our house and hers is right in front of a major hiway. We have to drive by her house everyday to get to town. Today we seen that she put the lawn mower out close to the road with a big wooden sign with these words painted in bright red "BEWARE i bought this from (my fiances first and last name) and it doesnt run never buy from him." I tell you I was so so furious! It is not true! My fiance works on small engines in his spare time for extra money and has been doing it for years. No one has ever complained about him before! He is very honest about all he fixes and sell. We have lived around here all our lives. We already have people asking us what thats all about. I mean EVERYONE that drives on this major road can read this sign. She has told people that she will leave it up as long as she wants and might even make a bigger one. This has to stop! We are embarrased, furious, irritated, among other things! :mad: I wan to talk with an attorney about this. Do you think we have a strong case? Oh and I did drive by today and stop on the road in front of her house and take a few pictures of the sign and where the sign is and how close to the road it is. Please give me some advice, we really need it!
Thanks, sincerely!

R

repete000

Honestly if I saw such a sign I would laugh at the idot posting it.
In Woodland Hills California someone posted a sign (on their front lawn) that spoke bad about the grocery chain Ralph's stores. It said "Ralph's Meats Have Worms!" I thought to myself, some idiot who lives there probably didn't cook their fish enough, and got sick and vomited all over the place.

drago

Legally this is no big deal.

What I would do is fix the mower or give the lady her money back.
It's not worth the grief and your husband can prove he's the good guy.

stephenk

One dark and stormy night drive by, pick up the mower and the sign, and drop them both in the nearest lake.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">