• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt waiver for salary overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Can you say why exactly that you disagree? Or is it just a feeling you have?

Your "they certainly would not go back 5 years" is problematic.
Neither, although I do have a "feeling". My main argument is that the amount of money is too high to take advice from strangers on the internet. His advice needs to come from a local employment attorney who is familiar with government employment.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Neither, although I do have a "feeling". My main argument is that the amount of money is too high to take advice from strangers on the internet. His advice needs to come from a local employment attorney who is familiar with government employment.
In other words, the final sentence of your prior post was rubbish. Thanks for clearing that up.

(I DO agree that a consultation with a local attorney wouldn't hurt...once the OP knows what he's up against.)

LdiJ

In other words, the final sentence of your prior post was rubbish. Thanks for clearing that up.

(I DO agree that a consultation with a local attorney wouldn't hurt...once the OP knows what he's up against.)
Actually Zig, in this instance I think that the advice that you are giving him is not only rubbish, but could lead him to do something that would seriously hurt him financially. Which is why he should ignore any other advice other than consulting with an employment attorney familiar with government employment.

I do not think that I have ever seen you advise someone to check with an attorney before doing anything. Your response on every thread is basically that the poster owes whatever someone says that they owe and that they should pay it...and you don't know any better than anyone else does whether or not they actually do owe it.

Zigner

I do not think that I have ever seen you advise someone to check with an attorney before doing anything.
More rubbish :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Perhaps you would like to explain how the advice I gave is wrong...

LdiJ

More rubbish :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Perhaps you would like to explain how the advice I gave is wrong...
Good lord Zig...you are smarter than that.

We are talking about 60k here. You are telling him to talk to the employer BEFORE talking to an attorney. How is that not beyond foolish? It doesn't "hurt" to talk to an attorney? As if talking to an attorney is a side step rather than the very first freaking thing a person should do when 60k is involved?

Zigner

We are talking about 60k here. You are telling him to talk to the employer BEFORE talking to an attorney. How is that not beyond foolish? It doesn't "hurt" to talk to an attorney? As if talking to an attorney is a side step rather than the very first freaking thing a person should do when 60k is involved?
Ahh, trying to log on late to get the last word in? ;)

quincy

I think it better if Gerard speaks to his employer first, so he has something solid to speak about later to an attorney (if matters cannot be resolved without an attorney's assistance).

Why do you feel that is a mistake?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">