• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee overpaid, left company, now company wants money back.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Caveman11

What is the name of your state? NE
I left my previous employer on good terms about 8 months ago. I received an extra pay-check shortly after my last day of employment. Nothing was done until now, 8-months later. My previous employer is giving me a month to come up with the money or they will seek legal action. What are my options? Do I have to re-pay them? They have been known to send letters out like this as scare tactics. Should I be able to make payments? Does my vacation that I had not used come into play at all? What about 401K? They had taken away 401K matching funds for all employee's about 6-months prior to me leaving.

Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state?

BizMan

If they did overpay you and you owe the money then yes you will have to pay them back. An error on their part does not make it a free gift. When you got the extra check you should have mentioned something about it instead of trying to hide it and get away with some extra cash.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">