• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer breaking labor laws?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LynnLeeAmy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I currently work 8 hours a day/5 days a week for a telephone answering service. My employer offers us 3 breaks, however they are all 10 minute breaks. While we do get paid for these breaks, I feel it is not an adequate amount of time to rest and clear your head before having to go back and answer all of the calls that we do. I take about 3,000 calls every two weeks.
I feel as though my employer is breaking a labor law by not allowing us our 30 minute lunch break. I work from 3p-11p and it is hard for me to find the time to make dinner and eat it. I have read the labor laws and know that if an employee works at least 6 hours they are to be given a 30 minute break, however when I first started this job, I believe they had us sign a paper stating that we agreed to waive our right to a lunch the entire time we are employed there. Is my boss able to do this, and is there anything that I can do about it? Or am I out of luck because I signed that paper?

justalayman

contact the California department of labor (or whatever it is called in Cali.). They will answer your questions and take your complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">