• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting paid by employer after quitting.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kewwlkat123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Worked for a restuarant chain that I'm sure all of you are aware of. It's a lot like a family restuarant like TGI Fridays. That should narrow it down to a couple. This company does have a corporate but the one I worked at was part of a franchise of about 10-15 of them in CA. Anyways, I quit back in November without giving notice and waited a couple of weeks for my paycheck to come in the mail. My check never came so I called the franchise corporate and talked to the HR people. They said they would contact the restuarant and see where the check is. If it was at the restuarant they would have the manager send it to my address. After a couple of weeks, I call corp. again. They say that the checks were at the store and that they would have to be sent back to corp. and reissued and sent to me. A month or so passes and nothing. I call about every month or so to figure out what's going on and I am told the HR lady is on vacation, out at lunch, etc. So I always leave a message for her to give me a call back. Guess what...she never does. Anyways, this run around and me calling to get paid continues until about July. I get a call saying they have my check and want to confirm my address. I receive the check and it's the original checks from November (over six months old). One of the checks is faded a little because of being old. On one of the checks is a sticky note saying to tell the bank to accept them as a stop payment hasn't been issued and if there are any problems have my bank contact the HR lady. The bank said they can't take them because they are more than six months old. I showed them the sticky note and they said that it's not their responsibility to call and that I would have to. I called and just got HR voicemail. So I'm at a dilemma. What are my choices for getting paid? It seems like the company doesn't want to pay me, they are avoiding me, or out right unprofessional. Aren't businesses supposed to pay employees within three days of quitting?

Thanks for your assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">