• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting paid less than promised

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sonic0627

I'm located in Indiana and I just started a job through a staffing agency 3 weeks ago. I was told the job paid me a certain amount, but was informed by the staffing agency they mixed up jobs and it paid less than promised. When the employer got the invoice from the staffing agency she noticed I was getting paid more than I should. The agency contacted me informing me of their mix up and told me I will now be paid less then what my paperwork stated. They are unwilling to pay me more saying they can only pay me what the employer is willing to pay and if I didn't like it I can quit. Is this even legal? I have paperwork stating what my pay would be. No new paperwork stating otherwise. Aren't they obligated just like any other employer to pay me what is on my paperwork?

Last edited:

eerelations

Please be careful when rocking this particular boat.
Woo-hoo, yeah! (My version of a BIG like button.)

To elaborate, making a stink could cause you to lose the assignment altogether. Which would be perfectly legal - unless your "paperwork" with the staffing agency rises to the level of a legally-enforceable contract...and it probably doesn't.

sonic0627

Woo-hoo, yeah! (My version of a BIG like button.)

To elaborate, making a stink could cause you to lose the assignment altogether. Which would be perfectly legal - unless your "paperwork" with the staffing agency rises to the level of a legally-enforceable contract...and it probably doesn't.
Yeah one days pay difference isn't worth losing my job. I'm a single mom and a less paying job is better than none. It's just sad how employers especially in this state can get away with messing with people's lives by deducting pay or fire someone for no good reason and not lose any sleep over it.

HRZ

AT will employment is a two way street . BOnded servitude has been unpopular for a century or more .....but I get it ...a staffing agency may treat you like a clump of dirt ...but I agree with others if you need /want work this is wrong Hill to pick to debate . SMile ...takes less effort than a nasty face .

xylene

The country is at full employment, trump is pres, and workers are scarce.

Try standing up for yourself, it has some risks, but it feels great.

"oh, I'm sorry we negotiated a rate. Perhaps you should take this up with whomever made the the mistake on your end. I'm top tier."

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In Indiana, it is recommended but not required that the employee be notified of changes in advance of working the hours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">