• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hurricane pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NellieBly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I work for the school department in a large city. Prior to the beginning of school, people in my department were required to attend a "be there or get fired" meeting.

At the meeting,we were informed that if a state of emergency was declared for the hurricane, school would be canceled and we would get paid.

Well, a state of emergency was declared and there was no school.

We were not paid for that day and they stiffed us on the meeting too.

Should we at least get paid for the meeting? This was outside of our regular working hours.

We are hourly workers, by the way.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swalsh411

What did your employer say when you asked about this? That would be the first place to start. It's entirely possible that you will be paid for the meeting but the payroll office was not provided with the information on who attended and for how long in time enough to include it on the regular pay check. Routine administrative tasks can become very challenging in emergency situations and everybody needs to allow for some flexibility.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You must be paid for the meeting. The law will not require that you be paid for the time school was closed.

The above presumes that you are non-exempt employees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">