• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Independent Contractor- Not paid.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

samazing

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I've researched, but haven't found anything directly pertaining to this- Is there any time limit the "employer"/company has for paying the contracted "employees"?

Or does it basically just really suck to be an independent contractor? ...because we essentially sign all of the labor law rights away on the contract? I understand that signing the contract means you have to abide by it... but are there no laws in place to see to it that all the independent contractors out there do in fact get paid?

I work for a tutoring agency and as it's my first "real" job I went into it quite naive and eager (Meaning I didn't quite understand what I was getting myself into). I've been working for this company since late September, and as a budget-conscious college student, it's hard to budget myself with paychecks so far and few in between.
There was a miscommunication between myself and the company about the paying periods. It was stated verbally many times that tutors were paid roughly every 35 days, give or take a few (from which I assumed was for document processing). By this, I estimated that from the beginning of the month til about 5-7 days into the following month I would be paid. Nope! Turns out that the company I'm working for actually has until the 15th of the following month from when services were rendered to submit their documents to the school district. The school district then has 30 days to pay the company and then they in turn have 2 days to pay their tutors. Added all together from the first day of being paid to pay day is about 75 days! This company has not emailed/called me at all about when I should expect to be paid or anything regarding any kind of payment, which worries me that I won't be paid at all! And now, from researching about independent contractors, I'm even more cynical about the whole thing.

Really, I wouldn't be so upset about it, and just would've realized I got myself into this, but I was expecting to paid on the 17th of this month, and I had a lot of plans to go christmas shopping for my family and go to the Salvation Army angel giving tree! Oh the frustration with myself and this company! Help?!

swalsh411

The agreement that you signed dictates the payment terms. You are essentially in business for yourself as an IC. You are not protected by any employment laws. If you do not like the terms of the agreement you are free to attempt to re-negotiate or no longer provide your services. (once the contract is up if you have a agreed to a certain period of performance). If they do not pay you as stipulated in the contract/agreement your recourse would be to sue them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">