• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Manager asked me to start clocking out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dunneroo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My situation is that I am a physical therapist and see patients throughout the day. This time of year business gets slow with deductibles resetting and my manager recently asked me to start clocking out if I have large gaps between patients. I am a hourly employee and it states in my offer letter that I am scheduled for 40 hours a week. My manager hasn't stated that I must remain on the premises, but it's extremely hard to leave if I only have a hour before the next patient arrives. Is this legal for them to ask of me? Thanks for any advice.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My situation is that I am a physical therapist and see patients throughout the day. This time of year business gets slow with deductibles resetting and my manager recently asked me to start clocking out if I have large gaps between patients. I am a hourly employee and it states in my offer letter that I am scheduled for 40 hours a week. My manager hasn't stated that I must remain on the premises, but it's extremely hard to leave if I only have a hour before the next patient arrives. Is this legal for them to ask of me? Thanks for any advice.
Someone else who is more knowledgeable about employment law will come along, however its certainly lacking professionalism to ask a full time employee to go part time by requiring them to clock out between patients.

You might want to consider moving on to a more professional office.

PayrollHRGuy

First, offer letters rarely rise to the level of enforceable contracts.

Second your employer must pay you for all hours worked but they are also able to schedule you pretty much as they please.

In general, if you are free to leave and the break is over 20 minutes you don't have to be paid.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it is legal of them to ask this of you. I'm not saying it's how I'd manage things, but I can also understand why he doesn't want to pay you for sitting around. An offer letter rarely if ever constitutes a contract. While you are free to show yours to a local attorney to see if yours is one of the very few that does, it's not likely that you're guaranteed an enforceable 40 hours a week every week. In most cases an employer is free to make changes on a going forward basis.

pac72

suck it up snowflake Hillary still LOST BIGLY... honestly suprized a the trump derangement syndrome still occouring

xylene

Oh no. But this is good. Now there is a name for my disease.

Thank you. Now I can heal.

Last edited:

dunneroo

Thanks for the replies. Please dont hijack my thread with immature political arguments. As far as finding a more professional office, its funny because I work for the largest outpatient provider of physical therapy in the midwest. I did make a stink though by demanding a raise.

HRZ

Management may well be able to require that you clock out when there is no work scheduled but you must be relieved of all work ...it sort of stinks but it's not illegal. ...

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Make a stink. It's a metaphor. Worst you can get is fired. Which they can do if they don't like her hair color, or whatever inane banalities you trump voters like to cite about legal reasons to fire someone./
xylene, are you okay? Your posts seem to be rather "off" today. Because you know, as well as anyone who's been on this forum for a little while, that "at-will employment" predates Pres. Trump's election. By many, many, many years.

LdiJ

xylene, are you okay? Your posts seem to be rather "off" today. Because you know, as well as anyone who's been on this forum for a little while, that "at-will employment" predates Pres. Trump's election. By many, many, many years.
Its not just today...its been a few weeks.

xylene

I'm fine. Thank you for asking.

I'm always writing good posts. The best. Very stable advice giver. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">