• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Promised higher pay, I’m the only one who didn’t get it.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nac-Noc

I’m in Texas. I worked for a cleanup/restoration company and due to the weather we had a big surge of jobs. Which caused us to work 14-16 hour days. On day 3, during our daily meeting, we were informed that we would receive “storm pay” which is basically time and a half for ALL hours worked. When we got paid, the next week, my check seemed light and when I asked coworkers... they got the storm pay. I asked 3 people who worked along side and have the same job title and they got the higher pay rate. But not me. I asked my boss and haven’t gotten an answer yet. Should I report this??

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Report it to who? There's no right to premium pay under the law and you've provided no details that would suggest any form of illegal discrimination.

justalayman

How can they grant the pay to everyone else that’s there but not me?
So your boss has responded to your query with: we decided to not pay you the additional amount?

But to the question posed here;

Yes. As long as the pay difference isn’t based on illegal discrimination the employer can pay each person whatever they choose to as long as it is at least minimum wage and any overtime due.

If your employer specifically told you would be getting time and a half your have an arguable position you entered into a pay agreement (contract) and as such, you are owed the promised pay rate.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
First, as was indicated above, this might just be an error. Second, they can do it because there's not law that says they can't.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They can do it that way because there's no law that says they can't.

But it still would make far more sense to wait to see what your boss says. It could be a simple clerical error.

justalayman

Given that you’ve been terminated and don’t appear to care much for your boss, I wouldn’t wait any longer. I would attempt to contact them once and if not settled, figure out what you want to do next.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">