• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

refusing to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RastamanDan

What is the name of your state? I live in Illinois. I was recently fired because my boss said he could not afford me any more. I was the highest paid employee. He fired me in the beginning of a pay period and he still owes me for just over 10 hours of work. When I picked up my previous chack and I asked him about the rest of my hours he said they would be on the next pay period. It has been over a week since the checks should have been there. I called and asked if he my ex boss could mail me the check. I have called almost a dozen times and he refuses to return my calls and I still have no check. What can I do to get what I am owed?

seniorjudge

RastamanDan said:
What is the name of your state? I live in Illinois. I was recently fired because my boss said he could not afford me any more. I was the highest paid employee. He fired me in the beginning of a pay period and he still owes me for just over 10 hours of work. When I picked up my previous chack and I asked him about the rest of my hours he said they would be on the next pay period. It has been over a week since the checks should have been there. I called and asked if he my ex boss could mail me the check. I have called almost a dozen times and he refuses to return my calls and I still have no check. What can I do to get what I am owed?
Sue him in small claims court.

pattytx

In Illinois, your final pay is due no later than the date of the regularly scheduled paycheck for the pay period in which your last day worked occurred. You actually don't need to pay a lawyer; file a claim with the state Dept. of Labor for unpaid wages if you have not received your final wages by that date.
http://www.state.il.us/agency/idol/faq/qawage.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">