• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Required to attend weekend meeting w/out pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cynic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IDAHO
My employer states that the meeting is mandatory (which is on a Saturday afternoon), however nobody will be paid since it is a "betterment" meeting. In other words, we're discussing our 401k, have a motivational speaker, and also discuss how the company is doing this year. So hourly employees are required to show up, but not get paid. "Oh it's only twice a year and only a couple of hours, why are you complaining?" is what I'm getting from my boss. Is this legal to require us to come in on a weekend and not pay us?

Beth3

Assuming you are a non-exempt (hourly paid) employee, no, it is not legal for them to require you to attend and not pay you. Any time that is required by the employer or from which the employer derives a "benefit" (as is the case with your Saturday meeting) must be compensated.

If you are an exempt employee, then no additional compensation for this meeting is required.

If, after attending the meeting, you and your co-workers are not paid for the time, each of you should contact your State's Department of Labor/wage and hour division and file a complaint.

Cynic

Assuming you are a non-exempt (hourly paid) employee, no, it is not legal for them to require you to attend and not pay you. Any time that is required by the employer or from which the employer derives a "benefit" (as is the case with your Saturday meeting) must be compensated.

If you are an exempt employee, then no additional compensation for this meeting is required.

If, after attending the meeting, you and your co-workers are not paid for the time, each of you should contact your State's Department of Labor/wage and hour division and file a complaint.
Thank you Beth! I really appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">