• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salary Overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmcgov06

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My former company claims that I was overpaid by $225 on my final paycheck, citing vacation days discrepancy. I completely disagreed with the calculation and ignored their initial request for re-payment so they sent the matter to a collection agency.

The evidence presented by the company via the collection agency to support their claim was totally insufficient. I wrote the collection agency back asking for more detailed documentation, most specifically a record of my earned/used vacation days and the mathmatical calculation behind the overpayment amount.

I am still awaiting this documentation. I know for a fact that my former manager did not track anyone's vacation day usage, meaning that any records they have are likely fabricated.

Anyway, how strong of a case does this employer have against me ? What are their rights in this matter and what are mine ?

Regards, TomWhat is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

tmcgov06 said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My former company claims that I was overpaid by $225 on my final paycheck, citing vacation days discrepancy. I completely disagreed with the calculation and ignored their initial request for re-payment so they sent the matter to a collection agency.

The evidence presented by the company via the collection agency to support their claim was totally insufficient. I wrote the collection agency back asking for more detailed documentation, most specifically a record of my earned/used vacation days and the mathmatical calculation behind the overpayment amount.

I am still awaiting this documentation. I know for a fact that my former manager did not track anyone's vacation day usage, meaning that any records they have are likely fabricated.

Anyway, how strong of a case does this employer have against me ? What are their rights in this matter and what are mine ?

Regards, TomWhat is the name of your state?
Keeping or taking property that is not yours is theft.

But, if you have (in your mind) a strong case, then tell the collection agency to sue you and when you get to court, tell your side of the story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">