• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tipped Employee Overtime Wage Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anonymous666

In Michigan tipped employees must be paid at least $8.15 per hour for overtime. I was being paid $5.00 per hour, and correctly being paid $8.15 for overtime. However, I recently received a raise, and am now making $6.00 per hour. I would like to know if my employer has to pay me time-and-half ($9.00) per hour for overtime, or if they can continue to pay $8.15?

justalayman

Actually the minimum wage is currently $9.25 as of Jan 1 of 2018. The employer is required to pay you at least $3.52 per hour with up to $5.73 applies as a tip credit. If you earn less than $5.73 per hour in tips (average over the pay period) the employer must make up the difference.

Overtime pay law, as far as I can find, does apply. That would mean you would have to have an aggregate income from hourly pay and tips to equal to $13.86. The tip credit doesn’t increase so that means the minimum paid wage is $8.15/ hour BUT that is based on the the minimum wage rates. The law requires you be paid 1/2 times YOUR wage. In your situation that would mean they must pay you at least $9.00/ hour.

Of course that is if your are not exempted from the overtime requirement. There are jobs that are exempt that could also fall under the tipped employee wage laws.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis/MW_InfoSheet_Tipped_ee_9_25_06_173903_7.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">