• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unused vacation time not paid if you leave co.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kikipoo

What is the name of your state? Texas
Our employee handbook states that if an employee leaves the company they will not be paid for any vacation time that is unused. I have searched the Texas Workforce Commission site and some other posts on this site but can't find a definitive answer as to whether that is legal in TX. (I'm guessing it is, since it is in the handbook...which was supposedly reviewed by a lawyer.) But I would appreciate some details. Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state?

ecmst12

Try reading the other dozen (at least!) threads in here(and the other employment forums) in the last few weeks on the same subject.

Last edited:

Gadfly

There is no requirement that a company give you vacation time or sick time. There is also no requrement that if you 'earn' these times at your company for them to give it to you if you quit or are fired.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Here's a definitive answer for you.

Yes, that is legal in Texas.

Texas law does NOT require that vacation be paid on termination. It requires only that the company follow their own policy.

If the policy is that vacation is not paid out, then that's it. The TWC is not going to require them to pay anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">