• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Miss spelled first name on will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rita1234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

I had a will drawn up for my son. I notice when I received the final version for sign off this first name was missspelled micheal vs Michael. Cost to fix is $40 more. How should I handle this

Thank you for your help in advance
Phil

FlyingRon

I think you should invest in a spelling checker. The word is "misspell" (you misspelled misspell every time you wrote it).

Your explanation is a bit ambiguous. Where does this misspelling take place on the document? Is it your son's will (i.e., to handle his assets when he dies) or your will (leaving things to your son)?

Chances are, it is worth spending whatever it costs to make things right. When you said "you had drawn up," drawn up by what entity?

Has the will been signed yet? By whom?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

I had a will drawn up for my son. I notice when I received the final version for sign off this first name was missspelled micheal vs Michael. Cost to fix is $40 more. How should I handle this

Thank you for your help in advance
Phil
If you had a lawyer draw it up the lawyer should make that change in the document without charge, especially if you gave the lawyer the name spelled correctly to begin with. I certainly would do that, it would take me all of two seconds to fix that. That said, that minor mispelling is almost certainly not going to affect the will. So long as the court and the executor can properly identify who the person is that is all that really matters.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">