• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can injured worker seek treatment out of state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tgrl

A relative of mine was hurt on the job and is seeking workman's comp. Due to the extent of his injury, he needed to stay with someone while awaiting treatment, and has been staying with us. Unfortunately, this arrangement is not working out. We are desperate to help him relocate to stay with another family member, but he claims he must stay in state in order to receive medical treatment through his company's worker's comp. The company he works for is national, operating in all 50 states. I know nothing about this kind of law, but this seems off to me. Our relative is severely injured, on pain medication, and has little knowledge about law, so part of me suspects that he is misunderstanding and I wanted to investigate further on his behalf. I know for a fact that he has to see his company's doctors for the first 30 days of treatment (we are currently on day 19) and then after that he can see the doctor's he chooses. My question is: after these 30 days are up, can my relative's employer legally force him to seek treatment in state? Ideally we would like to relocate him from our place in California (where he was injured) to his mother's place in Florida, where she will be able to provide him with more sufficient care, day in, day out. I have never been in a situation like this one before, so I truly don't know if his claims are accurate, or simply a misunderstanding.

LdiJ

A relative of mine was hurt on the job and is seeking workman's comp. Due to the extent of his injury, he needed to stay with someone while awaiting treatment, and has been staying with us. Unfortunately, this arrangement is not working out. We are desperate to help him relocate to stay with another family member, but he claims he must stay in state in order to receive medical treatment through his company's worker's comp. The company he works for is national, operating in all 50 states. I know nothing about this kind of law, but this seems off to me. Our relative is severely injured, on pain medication, and has little knowledge about law, so part of me suspects that he is misunderstanding and I wanted to investigate further on his behalf. I know for a fact that he has to see his company's doctors for the first 30 days of treatment (we are currently on day 19) and then after that he can see the doctor's he chooses. My question is: after these 30 days are up, can my relative's employer legally force him to seek treatment in state? Ideally we would like to relocate him from our place in California (where he was injured) to his mother's place in Florida, where she will be able to provide him with more sufficient care, day in, day out. I have never been in a situation like this one before, so I truly don't know if his claims are accurate, or simply a misunderstanding.
I hope that there is someone here that can give you accurate information but I am guessing that its likely that he really does have to remain in state.

xylene

You haven't named the states involved state. (Your state and relocation target)

However, I think you should contact adult services or social services. I think you need to do so urgently. In person, as soon as tomorrow if possible, as there can be waiting lists for such things.

tgrl

You haven't named the states involved state. (Your state and relocation target)

However, I think you should contact adult services or social services. I think you need to do so urgently. In person, as soon as tomorrow if possible, as there can be waiting lists for such things.
Sorry. I noted the states at the end of the post, so it was not obvious. We are currently in CA. We would like to have him move in with his mother in FL as she is retired and able to be in the house with him all day.

xylene

Sorry. I noted the states at the end of the post, so it was not obvious. We are currently in CA. We would like to have him move in with his mother in FL as she is retired and able to be in the house with him all day.

My apologies for not reading more carefully. I do stand by my advice. I think there may be some problem with your relative u derstanding that change will occur no matter what and social services can help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">