• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired for injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DawnT31299

What is the name of your state? I live in Michigan and work for a fairly small company which has the "at will" employment policy. I acquired carpel tunnel (I do data entry) and am going to occupational therapy 2/3 times week which also had a therapist come to my job and do a work station evaluation. The therapist is going to make several "recommendations" which obviously are going to cost the company. Ive been told by several people who have been there numerous years about alot of people being "let go" who file workmans comp. cases. Since its an "at will" employment and their reason for letting people go is "due to lack of work", or "downsizing", how can I possibly prove they would let me go for my workmans comp. case? also, i should throw in that they revised the handbook last year and I did receive one but never signed the page stating i agreed to it all. They just don't know I never signed it. Thanks for your time

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Believe me, they know you didn't sign it. They may not have said anything to you, because the fact that you didn't sign it does not mean a thing. You're still liable for whatever is in the handbook. And even if they don't know, it still doesn't matter. Not signing it doesn't excuse you from following what's in the handbook. Signing it is proof that you were given the handbook; not an agreement to follow what's in it.

As to your question, it would depend on the circumstances of the situation. If the only people let go were the ones that had filed workers comp claims, that would be pretty much your proof right there. If several people were let go as well that did not file workers comp claims, then it might be that workers comp wasn't a factor after all. Especially if not everyone who filed a workers comp claim was let go.

Until you're actually let go, don't worry about it too much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">