• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about how backpay works

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OsaBear92

Im not trying to scrape my company for cash. I love my job. I just want to be equally paid, and make sure I cover all my bases

quincy

Im not trying to scrape my company for cash. I love my job. I just want to be equally paid, and make sure I cover all my bases
In addition to providing your state name, please tell us what your concern has to do with workplace injuries/workers compensation.

Thanks.

OsaBear92

Question about Backpay

I apologize. Im new to this site, and I seem to have typed my question in a different place. Anywho,

I just recently found out that my co-worker makes more money than I do. Im technically his lead. And after chit-chatting with him, turns out we have the same amount of experience. And the same qualifications, except I have a year more of General Manager experience. I asked my boss for a raise, and in a week, Ill be making the same amount as that co-worker. But Im still his higher up. Someone told me "your on a higher paygrade than he is because your his lead. On the chart, your above him. They owe you backpay for all the time he has been making more money" Is there any truth to this? I dont want to be rude, I just want fair. And things at my job have been very unsettling latley. I would love some advice. Please and thank you.

PayrollHRGuy

There is no law that says a supervisor must make more than a subordinate. I would point you towards just about any pro sports team for examples where they don't. Many players make far more than the coaches and general managers.

There is also no law that two people with equal qualifications must make the same amount. Nor is there a law that says a person with fewer qualifications can't make more.

If there is some union contract at your workplace you will need to talk to a union rep about it.

LdiJ

There is no law that says a supervisor must make more than a subordinate. I would point you towards just about any pro sports team for examples where they don't. Many players make far more than the coaches and general managers.

There is also no law that two people with equal qualifications must make the same amount. Nor is there a law that says a person with fewer qualifications can't make more.

If there is some union contract at your workplace you will need to talk to a union rep about it.
However, if you are not in a union and do not have a contract you should be grateful that you are getting the raise, and do not make any more stink about it unless you want to lose your job.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I apologize. Im new to this site, and I seem to have typed my question in a different place. Anywho,

I just recently found out that my co-worker makes more money than I do. Im technically his lead. And after chit-chatting with him, turns out we have the same amount of experience. And the same qualifications, except I have a year more of General Manager experience. I asked my boss for a raise, and in a week, Ill be making the same amount as that co-worker. But Im still his higher up. Someone told me "your on a higher paygrade than he is because your his lead. On the chart, your above him. They owe you backpay for all the time he has been making more money" Is there any truth to this? I dont want to be rude, I just want fair. And things at my job have been very unsettling latley. I would love some advice. Please and thank you.
I'm afraid "someone" is very, very wrong. The quickest route to discontent is to compare yourself to someone else. If you were content with your pay (or at least as content as anyone is with their pay) BEFORE you found out how much your coworker makes, then do yourself a favor and concentrate on that.

quincy

Your coworker could be lying. Your coworker could also have been hired in at a higher rate of pay.

No one likes to be paid less for doing the same or more work than their coworkers (ask any female) but it is not unusual to have different pay scales depending on hiring date.

And, yes, Zigner. Missed that it wasn't provided (and that this thread has nothing to do with workers compensation or workplace injuries ;)).

What is the name of your state, OsaBear?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Someone told me "your on a higher paygrade than he is because your his lead. On the chart, your above him. They owe you backpay for all the time he has been making more money" Is there any truth to this?

Assuming that you are anywhere in the US, No. There is no truth to this. "Someone" doesn't know what they're talking about.

If you have a union contract that says otherwise, you can talk to the union about it. There is no law anywhere in the US where you are owed a single penny of backpay because a subordinate makes more than you do.

Sometimes life isn't fair.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">