• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens after Worker's Comp. limit is reached?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I wrote it in my head, but I really did think I'd gone back and put it in the thread too.

If she comes back, I'll do the research review again.
I haven't seen Subjection around recently.

This thread was bumped because of a spammer.

Last edited:

MichaelRBrya

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

My brother is going through an experience with Worker's Comp. right now. He fell and hurt his hand real bad and there are have been many expenses since then. The helicopter flight to the next city (because there was no hand surgeon on duty at the hospital in town), and that alone cost $49,000. Since then, there was the initial surgery to close his hand up after severing an artery, then another surgery to try to repair damaged nerves (2 fingers are still numb), transportation back and forth to the hospital 100 miles away, and now a nursing home stay (believe it or not), then future physical therapy. All this on top of not being able to work, which means payments for that.

I've heard Worker's Comp. is capped at $100,000. If the helicopter ride cost about half of that right off the top, I see no way that everything else is going to stay under the limit. What happens then? Should I be advising my brother to skip some of the treatments that are being advised?
The amount paid to an injured employee is set by worker's compensation board and there is no upper limit under part A. The board takes into consideration the employee’s weekly salary and the severity of the injury. For example, if an employee in New York earning a weekly salary of $500 is injured and totally disabled, the workers' compensation benefit is calculated as two-thirds of the average weekly wage subject to a state-determined maximum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">