• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rosabella928

I would like to know what constitutes "a change in material circumstances" for the purpose of reducing or eliminating alimony in Connecticut?
My husband was married to his ex-wife for 22 years. During their marriage, his ex was in and out of a mental institution during which time he lost his job and was burdened with insurmountable bills and medical expenses.
While in the mental institution, his ex-wife asked for a divorce, taking my husband completely by surprise. He struggled to keep his life together and raise his two sons while his ex was institutionalized only to be rewarded with a request for a divorce.

His ex was awarded a generous alimony for life in the amount of $1900 per month (based on his income of $72,000 at the time of divorce), half his pension, several life insurance policies, a car, half the furniture and had to sell his house at a loss to pay his and his ex-wife's legal expenses - he lost all his assets to sum it up. he is still paying off debts from the divorce in 1993. To date, my husband currently earns $65,000.

His ex also collects social security disability benefits in the amount of approximately $8,000 per yr.

At this time his ex has given up her apartment and is living with a female friend. Her living expenses as a result have been considerably reduced. She is also
able to drive and does volunteer work. My husband's sons are on their own and do not live with his ex.

Does any of this qualify as "a change in material circumstances" to reduce or eliminate the alimony? Is there any hope for modification? My husband lost his family, his home, his assets through no fault of his own and is still paying dearly. I love my husband very much and hope that there is some reassuring information someone can offer to help him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">