• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

concerned & desperate grandmother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theresajengle

"He tried blaming the party being ruined by her when he did the most by just yelling and forcing a party and saying u guys need to act normal ur not suppose to be miserable and I'm not gonna fake it for him "

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Straight from the horse's mouth: http://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/Family/emancipatedChild.shtml

In New York State, a parent must financially support a child until the child turns 21 years old or becomes emancipated.

When a child is emancipated, it means that the child no longer lives with the parents and is self-supporting.

If the child is financially dependent on a parent, that child is not emancipated. A child who was once emancipated can become dependent again on the parents before turning 21 years of age.

In general, a child under 21 is emancipated if:

• The child is married.
  • The child is in the military.
  • The child finished 4 years of college.
  • The child is 18 years old and working full-time (summer or vacation jobs don't count).
  • The child permanently leaves home and ended the relationship with both parents for no good reason (except if the child left home because of abuse by a parent or a similar reason).

theresajengle

Straight from the horse's mouth: http://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/Family/emancipatedChild.shtml

In New York State, a parent must financially support a child until the child turns 21 years old or becomes emancipated.

When a child is emancipated, it means that the child no longer lives with the parents and is self-supporting.

If the child is financially dependent on a parent, that child is not emancipated. A child who was once emancipated can become dependent again on the parents before turning 21 years of age.

In general, a child under 21 is emancipated if:

• The child is married.
  • The child is in the military.
  • The child finished 4 years of college.
  • The child is 18 years old and working full-time (summer or vacation jobs don't count).
  • The child permanently leaves home and ended the relationship with both parents for no good reason (except if the child left home because of abuse by a parent or a similar reason).
in California being pregnant makes you "emancipated"

theresajengle

• "The child permanently leaves home and ended the relationship with both parents for no good reason (except if the child left home because of abuse by a parent or a similar reason)" Does that mean she can come live with me?

Zigner

• "The child permanently leaves home and ended the relationship with both parents for no good reason (except if the child left home because of abuse by a parent or a similar reason)" Does that mean she can come live with me?
No, that does not mean she can come live with you. Besides, what about the other kids?

Zigner

As a broken-hearted grandparent who was cut off from a grandchild due to reporting a less-than-ideal (that's being generous) situation to the authorities, I have really been giving you (the OP) the benefit of the doubt here. I'm done. I think you are a troll who is simply seeking attention. What would be the point indeed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">