• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida eviction help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In the 3-day notice the landlord requested payment or that I move out. How can the lease not end if he requested that?
I didn't say that. What I said is that it won't end favorably for you. That means that you may still owe rent at least until he is able to re-rent the unit.

quincy

Ah okay. I thought you wanted me to talk to someone in Arizona for some legal reason. I found similar help in FL. But they are closed.
Yes. Finding anyone to help during this holiday week will be difficult or impossible. You need to talk to your landlord.

floldlady

Thanks for all your answers.

The judge is on vacation, too. Nothing will happen until he is back next week.

So, if the judge sets a hearing and I move out before the hearing and let the court and landlord know, can the landlord still file for an eviction or does moving out stop the case?

quincy

Thanks for all your answers.

The judge is on vacation, too. Nothing will happen until he is back next week.

So, if the judge sets a hearing and I move out before the hearing and let the court and landlord know, can the landlord still file for an eviction or does moving out stop the case?
Yes. The eviction can proceed.

STEPHAN

This was in time. However, I got into an accident and did not make it to the court that day; I was one day late.
If you filed a response on time but paid a day late into the court registry, most FL judges will set a hearing and ignore that you were a day late. Make sure to pay the court on time when your January rent is due.

quincy

If you filed a response on time but paid a day late into the court registry, most FL judges will set a hearing and ignore that you were a day late. Make sure to pay the court on time when your January rent is due.
Her landlord told her it was due tomorrow. And she said she can’t pay.

STEPHAN

He gave me a letter. It says that rent is due on 1/1/24, that this is a holiday, and that I should pay the court on 12/29/23, so the money is definitely there on time.
If rent is due on 1/1/24, and that is a court holiday, payment on 1/2/24 to the court should be fine.

quincy

... I was unable to pay my rent on time. ... I told him I would pay before the eviction hearing ... my payment was a day late. .. when they served me the papers, it said:
Give the Clerk of Coult the rent that is due. You MUST pay the Clerk the rent each time it becomes due until the lawsuit is over ... My next rent is due on 1/1/24. I don't have it, I just paid for the last one. If I do not pay, will I be evicted? ...
floldlady apparently does not have rent for January, having just paid the past due rent.

STEPHAN

floldlady apparently does not have rent for January, having just paid the past due rent.
Yes, I saw that. I was just hoping the extra four days would give her some time to negotiate and/or move out or to come up with the money.

quincy

Yes, I saw that. I was just hoping the extra four days would give her some time to negotiate and/or move out or to come up with the money.
She should speak to her landlord now if she wants to remain in the apartment. I don’t think she should plan on a long term stay.

Eekamouse

Why don't you have January's rent ready to pay? You're going to need money to move into a new place so you should have something set aside for this, seems like. I don't understand.

quincy

I lost my old job. I was sick for many weeks. And my car broke down. And I had an accident.
What a series of unfortunate events. :confused:

It sounds like your landlord has tried to work with you through all of them ... but there comes a time when a landlord must consider his own best financial interests and stop supporting a non-paying tenant. It appears that time has come for your landlord.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">