• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper Parking - Stalls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adjusterjack

She was about two inches away from the curb. The car is a regular Escalade with no custom changes. We have a court appointment shortly
The width of a late model Escalade 6'9."

I looked up a few other modern cars that were between 6' wide and 6'4" wide.

If she wants to raise a defense at the hearing I suggest you go back to the parking space and lay out a tape measure and take a photo to show the exact width from the curb to the line.

You can google 20__ Escalade dimensions and print it out for the judge to compare.

It might be that your wife parked properly but the space lines weren't drawn properly.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
If she wants to raise a defense at the hearing I suggest you go back to the parking space and lay out a tape measure and take a photo to show the exact width from the curb to the line.
According to 502.2 of the Florida Building Code the parallel parking space should be at least 96" (8'):
https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/FLAC2020P1/chapter-5-general-site-and-building-elements

Don't know if that's the most up to date version, or if local code has additional conditions.

STEPHAN

Not guilty.

Thanks for the hint about the width of the parking spot. It is 82" without and 88", including the line.
We presented that. But the judge did not discuss this.

However, he felt that the second part of the ordinance, "so as not to occupy more than a single parking space," modifies it, and as she was clearly not occupying more than one parking spot, he threw the case out.

It was an interesting experience in the county traffic court. About 50% of the cases did not show up, and about 30 defendants did. Ours was the only case thrown out. Most cases were about handicapped parking. About 15 parking enforcement officers. Before we got into the courtroom, we sat in their area. They were bragging about their cases. :)

We chatted with "our" parking enforcement officer on the way out. This was his day off, but he gets paid extra to show up, so he was happy. He works five days a week and makes more than 200 tickets per day.

It was a 25-minute drive back for all of us. On this way back, he broke a few speed records (with the city car). I could not keep up with him (in the Escalade).

Again, thanks for all your help. Now we can continue to park there.

Last edited:

quincy

Not guilty.

Thanks for the hint about the width of the parking spot. It is 82" without and 88", including the line.

However, he felt that the second part of the order, "so as not to occupy more than a single parking space," modifies it, and as she was clearly not occupying more than one parking spot, he threw the case out.

It was an interesting experience in the county traffic court. About 50% of the cases did not show up, and about 30 defendants did. Ours was the only case thrown out. Most cases were about handicapped parking. About 15 parking enforcement officers. before we got into the courtroom, we sat in their area. They were bragging about their cases. :)

We chatted with "our" parking enforcement officer on the way out. This was his day off, but he gets paid extra to show up, so he was happy. He works five days a week and makes more than 200 tickets per day.

It was a 25-minute drive back for all of us. On this way back, he broke a few speed records (with the city car). I could not keep up with him (in the Escalade).

Thanks for the update. It was worthwhile fighting the ticket after all.

In case there is a different parking enforcement officer on duty when you next park in that area, you might want to keep a copy of the judge’s decision on your dashboard. ;)

STEPHAN

Good idea, Quincy! So far, the docket only shows "Not guilty", but no document. I did not get anything, so I hope it will show up in a few days (as it does on my eviction cases).

Bali Hai Again

Not guilty.

However, he felt that the second part of the ordinance, "so as not to occupy more than a single parking space," modifies it, and as she was clearly not occupying more than one parking spot, he threw the case out.

It was an interesting experience in the county traffic court. About 50% of the cases did not show up, and about 30 defendants did. Ours was the only case thrown out. Most cases were about handicapped parking. About 15 parking enforcement officers. Before we got into the courtroom, we sat in their H

Good job! The butt hurt officer won’t have anything to brag about with this case!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">