• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this Malpractice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

A podiatrist misdiagnosed a tumor in my foot, and delayed treatment.

I have been under the care of a podiatrist since Fall 2010 for chronic foot/ankle issues. I have a mild limp due to sports injury and surgeries on my right ankle in the 1980s. My PCP referred me to the podiatrist to treat intractable plantar fasciitis. He treated the plantar fasciitis adequately � with PT, shots, shoe inserts, and then finally surgery on my left foot in 12/2012. The outcome of the surgery is good, though I was feeling increased pain and swelling in my right ankle due to switching my limp during the recovery period.

I continued regular care with the podiatrist, and physical therapist. A couple of months after that surgery, I discovered a lump on my right foot that the podiatrist diagnosed as a cyst, and recommended to leave it untreated unless it really bothered me. In March, 2013 I pointed out to the podiatrist that my right foot seemed to be changing architecture. I needed a bigger shoe/sneaker and I had lump on the top of my foot. It was also swelling more and feeling more painful. The podiatrist told me that I had just developed new muscles, and compared me to soccer players develop giant muscles on their feet and need very wide sneakers.

By September 2013, the foot/ankle was still getting bigger and the cyst was becoming more painful. He decided to try and drain the cyst and was unable to do so. He pokes around, squeezes a lot and leaves a bruise. November 2013 I complain of increased pain in my right ankle, sometimes sudden sharp pain that I compared to an ice pick through my ankle/foot. I was concerned that if this happened when I was driving, it could be dangerous. He suggested get an MRI to if there is any damage to the bones, or strictures. I schedule the MRI in December, and had the results sent to him.

I(incorrectly assumed that he would read the MRI and call me if he saw anything. My next appointment with him is in March 2014, and he looked the MRI for the first time, while I was in the office. It showed an aggressive growth tumor (it was named as such on the MRI report)� the cyst, the lump on the front of my foot, the increased mass, were all tumor. He did not know how to do this surgery, and referred me back to my PCP.

My PCP referred me to an Orthopedic Oncologist, who referred me to a specialized foot/ankle surgeon, who operated in April. I lost a tendon sheath, part of the joint capsule, and the tumor involved 2 nerves. There is a 20% chance of recurrence, and if it does, will require both surgery and radiation. Assuming it does not recur, my recovery will be long � and under the best of circumstances it is hard to say if it will be complete. I have been on short term disability since 4/1/2014.

Does the podiatrist�s misdiagnosis or failure to read the MRI in a timely manner qualify as malpractice?

LAWMED

Failure to read the MRI results that were sent to him (I would presume, with near certainty, that a radiologist from wherever the MRI was done read it and then dictated a report) in a timely manner when the result showed an aggressive growth tumor is Medical Malpractice on it's face. Delay in diagnosis here might also be malpractice and will require an expert's opinion to determine it as such.

In any event you are left with having to prove that the delay caused you damages...that the surgery and its result are different than what would have been had no delay occurred and that you suffered injury and damages as a result.

But to answer your question 'is this medical malpractice?', a 3 month delay in reading an MRI where the result is an aggressive growth tumor generally speaks for itself as being medical malpractice. It is a violation of the standard of care.

Follow Up

Failure to read the MRI results that were sent to him (I would presume, with near certainty, that a radiologist from wherever the MRI was done read it and then dictated a report) in a timely manner when the result showed an aggressive growth tumor is Medical Malpractice on it's face. Delay in diagnosis here might also be malpractice and will require an expert's opinion to determine it as such.

In any event you are left with having to prove that the delay caused you damages...that the surgery and its result are different than what would have been had no delay occurred and that you suffered injury and damages as a result.

But to answer your question 'is this medical malpractice?', a 3 month delay in reading an MRI where the result is an aggressive growth tumor generally speaks for itself as being medical malpractice. It is a violation of the standard of care.

I just wanted to stop by and let LAWMED know about the outcome.

First I reached out to Malpractice attorneys at the firm I usually use. They got back to me, asking asking time to research the condition, and basically echoed what you said. In the end, even though there are issues with the delay, the nefarious nature of this condition, with its high recurrence rate, makes it difficult to prove that any additional damages. She suggested that I reach out to other attorneys - maybe another one would feel differently. I wrote to two others, who never got back to me.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

ecmst12

Encouraging you to contact another attorney is lawyer-code for saying either you don't have a case, or your case is not financially feasible to pursue.

I do hope that you recover fully.

LdiJ

Encouraging you to contact another attorney is lawyer-code for saying either you don't have a case, or your case is not financially feasible to pursue.

I do hope that you recover fully.
I suspect in this case, its not financially feasible to pursue for an attorney that gets paid on contingency. It's clear that malpractice took place...so it really can only be the dollar value of the case.

I too hope that you recover fully. Sadly, if you do not, then your case will become much more appealing.

ecmst12

It's not the damage that's the problem. It's proving that the damage is due only to the delay in diagnosis and not the underlying disease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">